Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The REAL story of the runaway Gingerbread men

I'm pretty sure I've narrowed down the clues to this classic - young men were at their grandmother's home and came up with a really cool story for their mom when she came to pick them up. I'll bet she said, "And then what happened?" several times.

The plan this year was to make gingerbread men, with loaves of bread and homemade freezer jam for our friends.  When the bread came out of the oven, I was upstairs wrapping presents and when I came down the braided bread was half finished though I was able to save some for their dad's supper.   Now gingerbread has to set for about 2 hours before you can cut them out and bake them.  Luckily they only bake for 7 minutes so you basically have to wait around.  Well no one was around for the rolling and cutting but just as soon as those gingerbread men came out of the oven - they tried to run away.  I had to guard them with a spatula, a look, and a firm no.  I ignored criticism of flat heads, misshapen arms, juggled hands that tried to knock the gingerbread off (so it would break) till I  told the kids to scram.  If you happen to get a gingerbread man this year just know it came out of Fort Knox.

1 comment:

  1. This is a good one, Linda Ann! Bless your heart for making gingerbread men! I tried it one time and said...ah no this is not my cup of tea! I have no patience for that sort of thing but wish I did.

    A very Merry Christmas to all of you!

    Love and hugs, Bonnie & Jim

    ReplyDelete